Be the best you.

By Tanya Blackstar - 09:08



























I really do think life is all about growing and developing as an individual. I wanted to write this post because this topic is something I think about a lot but I often find difficult to articulate. I'm hoping that by dedicating a blog post to it I'll be able to establish a clearer understanding of what my real thoughts on it are and if it makes a good read too, then bonus :)

I first came across the theory of self-realisation when I was at uni and it's stuck with me ever since.

To self-realise means simply, to be "the best you", by fulfilling all of the possibilities of your character or personality. Basically, to become the best, most fabulous version of your current self.

When I first read about this theory, I thought about it for a very long time. I couldn't stop thinking that if there was only one ultimate goal to have in life...then this would be it. I can't think of anything more important and satisfying than becoming the very person you were put here on this earth to be and to develop yourself to your true potential.

What does it mean to achieve self-realisation?

It's to know and experience exactly who you really are. You lose all your fake identities, your masks and pretences. You are just YOU.  By discovering who we really are allows us to live authentically and to be ourselves freely instead of being "appropriate". By appropriate, I mean when we are constantly adapting and becoming who we think people want us to be. Acting "appropriately" to make others feel comfortable whilst silently suffering inside. Why do we do this to ourselves?

It's incredibly hard for many of us to be who we really are in 2015. There's so much pressure on us to be the 'ideal' daughter, son, sister, father, wife, friend, colleague. We get pressure from our parents, our friends, partners, the TV, Internet, magazines, adverts you pass in the street, the list is endless.

So how do we attain self realisation?

Achieving self-realisation sounds nice in theory but I've often wondered how we ever reach it. I've read countless websites, books and blogs and I'm still not sure I have any idea about how to get there. I did however, manage to put together a list of things I came across numerous times and aim to try and practice...


Banish negative thoughts

Stop measuring yourself against others

Accept yourself

Don't focus on what you don't have - but focus on what you DO have

Tell the truth
Learn to say no
Believe in yourself
Smile
Listen
Respect others
Forgive
Pay attention
Make sacrifices for the things you love
Admit when you are mistaken
Share your struggles
Take a chance
Love yourself





Do you know who you are? Have you reached the best version of you? Do you have your own methods? I'd love to hear your thoughts.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments