Blackstar in Ghana

By Tanya Blackstar - 04:57

Last year as summer was approaching, I had no holidays lined up yet which for me was unusual and also incredibly depressing. I'm one of those highly obsessive people who need a holiday booked 6 months in advance so I can count down the months and days and plan loads of cute outfits and create a board on pinterest dedicated to my holiday! 

So when my aunty text me saying she had found a good deal on flights to Accra, Ghana... I was all over it, especially as I hadn't been in 10 years. My family are originally from Ghana and so I was really excited to go and visit some of our family that still live there.


 As we arrived we decided to splash out and experience some Ghana luxury living by visiting the Labadi Beach Hotel in Accra, one of the top hotels in Ghana. We stopped off just for the day and enjoyed the pool area and had some lunch and cocktails. A perfect way to start of our trip.







The great thing about being in Ghana was how at home I felt. Even though I was born in London I still felt a strong connection to the people, the culture, the language, the food, so much so it just felt like I had been there my whole life. I didn't once feel out of place like I was a "foreigner". It was almost as if the country embraced me as a long lost family member.





We moved on from Accra to visit Kumasi, where my family are from. It was a nice change from the busy city of Accra, everything in Kumasi is a lot more laid-back and relaxed...and green which was nice. We went and stayed in Lake Bosomtwe for a few nights, and we honestly didn't want to leave. Waking up every morning to a lake in the mountains was just beautiful.




















A few days before I had to leave and come back to London I went to the hairdresser near my hotel and got my hair braided. The lady who did it for me was sooooo fast they were done in just 3 hours! I honestly thought I'd be there for at least 6/7 hours. But not only that but they only cost £4!!!! 4 English pounds! I could not believe it! In London I would most certainly pay minimum £40! 

Things in Ghana are so cheap and the hospitality wherever you go is always sky high. Ghanaians are naturally warm, well-mannered and gentle people who work hard and live by honesty and integrity. It was not only refreshing to be around so many good people but truly inspiring. 

I can't wait to go back.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ghana seems like such a beautiful place. Definitely somewhere I would love to visit

    Lola
    Pastime Bliss xx

    ReplyDelete