My WCW

By Tanya Blackstar - 06:20




Now I'm sure most of you have seen the hash tag WCW all over instagram by now, but for those of you who haven't its the current phenomenon sweeping across instagram at the moment. How it works: You simply upload a post (on Wednesday) dedicated to your Woman Crush Wednesday. Now I think intially it was for people to swoon over their partners and show appreciation but recently I've seen it used by anyone and everyone to show appreciation to women who are special to them.

I know some people don't believe in "idolising" or showing appreciation to other people but I personally think it's important to have someone positive to look up to. In this day and age, positive role models are extremely hard to come by ( I say this like I'm some old school veteran lol). Loads of young women and girls nowadays draw inspiration from women like Kim Kardashian. I know she's aesthetically pleasing, she's making her money etc etc but, what about the women who are fierceless,  who stand up for what they believe in regardless of what the backlash might be? The women who contribute positively to our society and encourage others to be themselves? These are the women that I believe truly deserve our admiration and appreciation. It's all good admiring physical beauty, don't get me wrong I like to look to women like Kim and Rihanna for beauty and fashion and inspiration - but we can't let the true Queens go unnoticed.

So, in light of this, I have decided to dedicate every Wednesday to a woman that I admire, respect and appreciate.

This week I am dedicating my WCW to none other than the wonderful Angelina Jolie.






Not only is Angelina Jolie a prominent actress, but she is also a deeply caring and concerned humanitarian.  Angelina is currently a special envoy for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees after serving as a goodwill ambassador to the UNHCR for more than 10 years. I commend anyone, especially those in very fortunate circumstances such as Angelina, who use their fame and status to create awareness and support for those who are less fortunate. For me, this is what makes Angelina truly beautiful.


On top of being hugely philanthropic, Angelina recently underwent a double mastectomy to reduce her chances of developing breast cancer from 87 percent to under 5 percent. She said did it for her children. I think it was amazingly brave of her and sends a great message to women who may find themselves in similar difficult situations. Salute, Ange. 


I love how dedicated she is to her children and how gracefully she has dealt with her eldest daughter's (formerly known as Shiloh) want to dress as a boy and be called John. As a parent, I don't think there is anything more important than embracing your child's curiosity, independence, and supporting their journey to discover who they truly are. 


My favourite Angelina Jolie Quote:


"We cannot close ourselves off to information and ignore the fact that millions of people are out there suffering. I honestly want to help. I don't believe I feel differently from other people. I think we all want justice and equality, a chance for a life with meaning. All of us would like to believe that if we were in a bad situation someone would help us."

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments